The Brewery is based on the grounds of The Lord Nelson Inn, Birmingham Road, Ansley Village.
The Inn was originally a 16th Century thatched farmhouse which became a turnpike for horses in the 1750’s; It is rumoured that Admiral Lord Nelson and Lady Hamilton changed horses here at one time.
In 1868 a Bakehouse and Brewery were added to the premises and in 1871, sixty-six years after Nelson’s death; the establishment became a Public House and was named The Lord Nelson Inn.
Ron and Marlene Sperrin bought the premises and took over as Landlord and Landlady in 1974 adding the Victory restaurant in 1982 – it became a very reputable food pub.
Their sons Craig, Warren and Treeve after many debates over a pint or two had dreamed of building their own brewery as they already rented out an outhouse to another brewery, Tunnel Brewery; so when Tunnel moved out it was a perfect opportunity to learn a new skill and see if they could do it!
So, In February 2012 Warren Sperrin, with much support from his brothers and father; became head brewer and started brewing his first batch of our award-winning Band of Brothers or BOB as locals love to call it.
We are now a six-barrel microbrewery and have since opening, gone on to thrive in local areas; supplying to selected outlets around the county that share the same pride and enthusiasm in fine local real ales. We also supply The Lord Nelson Inn and our sister pub The Blue Boar Inn.
Since we launched the brewery, we have crafted six regular beers and we have just brewed a beautiful Barley Wine – It’s a special one!